Working out on a treadmill is widely considered to be among the best ways to effectively lose weight and burn away calories for both men and women. Here are some tips on treadmill workouts to lose weight.
Warming Up Before the Treadmill Workouts
Before you start off doing a treadmill workout, it is necessary for you to do some stretching first to avoid injury.
After you have done your stretching exercises, you should then start of your routine by walking on the treadmill. Set the speed to a slow and steady pace, preferably around 3.0 mph to get you started. Walking on a treadmill is a great stress reliever and can help increase your level of physical fitness. But, doing only slow walks on your treadmill will not give you any results and ultimately serves no greater purpose than to make you sweat.
To get the most out of your walking exercise try adjusting the speed every minute by .5 mph until you reach a speed which requires you to jog or run. Once your speed has been adjusted high enough it is time to proceed to the real workouts.
Jogging Exercises for the Treadmill
Jogging is one of the best treadmill workouts to burn fat and keep your heart healthy.
- Start with a brisk walk of 3mph for 2 minutes, then ramp up the speed to a jogging pace you are comfortable with, probably between 4 and 6 mph. Reduce the speed back to 3mph when you need to, and try to make your total workout time at least 20 minutes.
- Set your goals at how long you can maintain the same speed without stopping. It may only be 1-2 minutes at first, but as you continue to workout day after day, it will grow to 3 and 4, then eventually 10-20 minutes.
- Once you are able to run for 20 minutes at that speed, increase it by .5 mph and begin the process again
Remember not to hold on to the handle bars at the side. This is a common mistake made by many fitness enthusiasts and will not give you the results you’re looking for. You should also remember to have recovery days to avoid burning yourself out.
Running and Sprinting Workouts for the Treadmill
If you feel that jogging is not enough of a workout for you then you can shift gears by doing some running exercises. Running is one of the best treadmill workouts for weight loss and it can burn calories in a flash. If you want to burn away those calories at a more rapid rate then you might try high intensity interval training on a treadmill, which is the most efficient ways to lose weight quickly.
Treadmill Hill Workouts
Running uphill on a treadmill is a more extreme, intense workout and only appropriate for those who are looking for a challenge. This is quite possibly the best treadmill workout for weight loss because it can improve your body’s overall strength, especially in your legs, and make you lose weight at a faster rate.
- Adjust your treadmill’s incline to 1-3. The speed should also be downgraded from what you are comfortable with on flat ground, by about 1mph.
- Running at an incline is exhausting very quickly, so you will probably need to alternate walking and jogging, but try to stay on the machine for at least 20 minutes.
- As you get stronger, you can use hill workouts as part of your interval training routine, and run as fast as you can for 60 seconds, then at a walking pace for 90 seconds.